The Ultimate Accident Checklist
Car accidents are inevitable. Whether you caused the accident or you are the victim, they are scary, and knowing what to do is important. It is crucial to know what information to collect and what to do with said information.
Always stop if you are involved in an accident, no matter how minor. It is your legal obligation to stop if you are involved in an accident, even if there is no visible damage.
What to do at the Scene of a Car Accident:
There are many ways to avoid a car accident, but once one happens, you should know what important steps to take and what questions should be asked in order to make a claim. The following checklist will assist you in knowing what to do after a car accident.
What to do After a Car Accident:
- Do not move the vehicle unless it is blocking traffic. Put on your hazard lights to warn other drivers that there has been an accident.
- Assist anyone who appears to be injured. If needed, call an ambulance, moving an injured person can cause more harm. Seek medical attention for your own injuries if required. Some injuries may not appear until after the accident, an example being whiplash.
- Gather the information from as many witnesses as possible. This may become useful when it comes to a claim or settlement.
- Do not admit or deny fault for the accident. This information should only be discussed with the police or your lawyer.
- Make detailed notes about the accident. Draw a sketch showing the position of each vehicle at the time of the accident. Write down any statements made by passengers or witnesses. Note the date and time of the event. Write down the address of the car accident, or the nearest cross street.
- Report the accident. It is important to be in contact with your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Take photos of the damaged vehicles. These are very helpful, so take as many as possible.
Car accidents can be life-altering. Taking the right steps and following this checklist can ensure the claim is made properly and efficiently. When it comes to gathering information such as pictures, there is no such thing as too many.
When it comes to fixing your beloved vehicle after a car wreck, trust our experts at Warrenton Auto for quality services at fair prices. For more information, contact us today!